ASP.NET is used to create web pages and web technologies and is an integral part of Microsoft’s .NET framework vision.
It drastically reduces the amount of code required to build large applications and with built-in Windows authentication and per-application configuration, your applications are safe and secured.
It provides simplicity as ASP.NET makes it easy to perform common tasks, from simple form submission and client authentication and site configuration.
It's beautiful in its simplicity!
Model View Controller MVC is a time tested method of separating the user interface of an application from its Domain Logic.
The primary goal of MVC is to isolate UI changes and prevent them from requiring changes to the Domain Logic of the application.
The primary reason for this division is that the user interface and Domain Logic have different drivers for change and different rates of change. By making this separation, you can change the UI without touching the Domain Logic and vice versa.
What’s so useful about it
• Separation of requests and pages
Since the Controller is in charge of handling the requests and selecting an appropriate page (View), ther is no immediate coupling between the request made by the user and the resulting page.
• Views are dumb
Since all code that does anything except building a nice page for the user is outside the View projects, changing the layouts does not involve touching the logic of the application. Since the part of the application that changes the most during and after development is the layout, this means less chance of adding bugs.
• Shielding of the Model implementation
Since all actions on the application states are handled by the Model, it is possible to change the Model’s implementation without touching the user interface, as long as the Model’s public API does not change.
Asp.Net Web API is a framework for building HTTP services that can be consumed by a broad range of clients including browsers, mobiles, iphone and tablets. It is very similar to ASP.NET MVC since it contains the MVC features such as routing, controllers, action results, filter, model binders, IOC container or dependency injection. But it is not a part of the MVC Framework. It is a part of the core ASP.NET platform and can be used with MVC and other types of Web applications like Asp.Net WebForms. It can also be used as an stand-alone Web services application.
Why Web API ?
Today, a web-based application is not enough to reach it's customers. People are very smart, they are using iphone, mobile, tablets etc. devices in its daily life. These devices also have a lot of apps for making the life easy. Actually, we are moving from the web towards apps world.
So, if you like to expose your service data to the browsers and as well as all these modern devices apps in fast and simple way, you should have an API which is compatible with browsers and all these devices.
ASP.NET Web Forms is a part of the ASP.NET web application framework and is included with Visual Studio. It is one of the four programming models you can use to create ASP.NET web applications. Web Forms are pages that your users request using their browser. These pages can be written using a combination of HTML, client-script, server controls, and server code. When users request a page, it is compiled and executed on the server by the framework, and then the framework generates the HTML markup that the browser can render. An ASP.NET Web Forms page presents information to the user in any browser or client device.
ASP.NET Web Forms offer :
• Separation of HTML and other UI code from application logic.
• A rich suite of server controls for common tasks, including data access.
• Powerful data binding, with great tool support.
• Support for client-side scripting that executes in the browser.
• Support for a variety of other capabilities, including routing, security, performance, internationalization, testing, debugging, error handling and state management.
Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) is a next-generation presentation system for building Windows client applications with visually stunning user experiences. With WPF, you can create a wide range of both standalone and browser-hosted applications.
The core of WPF is a resolution-independent and vector-based rendering engine that is built to take advantage of modern graphics hardware. WPF extends the core with a comprehensive set of application-development features that include Extensible Application Markup Language (XAML), controls, data binding, layout, 2-D and 3-D graphics, animation, styles, templates, documents, media, text, and typography. WPF is included in the Microsoft .NET Framework, so you can build applications that incorporate other elements of the .NET Framework class library.
.NET Windows Forms: .This was the first UI technology in the .NET Framework for building desktop applications. It is still a good fit for many business desktop applications. .NET provides a consistent, first-class development experience across the desktop, Windows Phone, and Windows Store. It offers a higher level of coding and productivity. .NET allows you to keep developing foundational apps on the desktop and add exciting new experiences, all while using your existing skills and reusing code between devices.
What .NET offers to make building applications very productive:
• Runtime productivity and safety
• Rich collection data types
• Date and time library
• Web services
• Security and cryptography
• Parallel programming library
nopCommerce is the leading open source shopping cart, allowing people to set up an online store quickly and easily.
One key feature of the nopCommerce is its pluggable modular/layered architecture which allows additional functionality and presentation elements to be dynamically added to the application at run-time. This pluggable modularized architecture makes it easy to create and manage your web sites.
1. Nopcommerce is extremely flexible and easy to control from a development perspective. This is because it has been built on an MVC architecture which makes it easily upgradeable and scaled up if and when necessary.
2. This is one of the only asp.net based shopping carts where the complete source code is available as a FREE download. This is a HUGE plus when it comes to nopcommerces selection.
3. Its build is very stable and any merchant can be plugged in due to complete control of source files.
4. By far the biggest factor that swung us in favour of Nopcommerce was that it can be customized without any problems and restrictions.
5. The Nopcommerce shopping cart has been evolving at a steady pace and is becoming better and better with each new version.
6. Unlike other shopping carts where there is a huge dependability on the development community and the owners helpdesk this is bye passed due to complete source control.
7. Nopcommerce allows for developers to express their creativity in terms of code customization unlike competitors.
8. It is by default mobile compatible.
9. Supports upload of unlimited products.
10. Is effective from small to enterprise level applications.
11. Is based on MVC3 architecture which is the most powerful and latest in terms of practices.